The BC Green Games Contest
Rules, Guidelines and Contents of Submission
BC Green Games entries may consist of new or on-going action projects committed to environmental stewardship. Final project submissions must be original works. In the case of on-going projects, the final submission must share updates/improvements from previous years.
Acceptable Submission Guidelines:
- Media and supporting files must be clearly named and uploaded to the BC Green Games website.
- Specific formats may include, but are not limited to:
- Photo Essay: 3–10 images, Size: 5MB per image
- Video Project: 1 video, Length: 5 minutes or less, Size: 500 MB max, File Type: avi, wmv, mov, mp4
- Projects that include online elements, e.g. a website, may be hyperlinked in the summary text
- All applicable Community Coaches must be tagged.
- To ensure that you are being considered for specific prizes, the corresponding box should be checked in the submission form.
- MUSIC AND ARTWORK: Entries must comply with copyright law. No entry may include any trademarked or third-party material(s) (photos, voice-overs, music etc.) without obtaining written permission from the owner(s) of the trademarked material(s). All copywrited materials will be removed.
- Entries may be part of a school’s regular academic program, a student-initiated program, an after-school initiative or completed in consultation with supporting environmental education organizations.
Modifications to these rules will be posted on the BC Green Games website.
Team Make-up and Eligibility
- A team may consist of a student group (2 or more students), a class or an entire school.
- Teams must designate a Team Leader (teacher sponsor or secondary student). Team Leaders are responsible for registration and obtaining approval from the school’s administration.
- Teams will enter as either Elementary (grade K-7) or Secondary (grade 8-12) grade groups.
- Team members must be enrolled in the current school year at a BC Ministry of Education funded school or distributed learning program.
- Students are responsible for the development and communication of their entry.
- Students should develop entries that are appropriate to a school setting and do not contain any content that could be considered inappropriate or offensive by participants or BC Green Games partners, or could adversely affect the name, reputation or goodwill of BC Green Games Partners.
- Students should follow their school’s online etiquette guidelines/policies when using discussion forums and email, as well as in project creation.
- To lead a team in BC Green Games, a Team Leader (teacher sponsor or secondary student) must register on behalf of the team.
- Team Leaders must represent and warrant that they have obtained written approval from the school’s administration.
- Team Leaders must provide BC Green Games with their teacher sponsor or administrator’s contact information.
- Teacher sponsors or administrators must collect, and keep on file at the school, all Student Release Forms.
- Team Leaders must have working email addresses.
- Teacher sponsors and Team Leaders are responsible for submitting BC Green Games entries, including completion of all relevant web and Release forms.
- Teacher sponsors play supporting roles generating and developing entries and should encourage links to community experts where possible.
- Team Leaders and teacher sponsors are responsible for the behaviour and ethical conduct of their students and peers during entry development, both inside and outside the classroom.
- A representative from your BC Ministry of Education funded schools must consent to the teams’ participation in BC Green Games and provide requested information for prize acceptance purposes.
- Seeking expertise from community members during project development is encouraged.
- This contest is not open to any other kinds of individuals, corporate entities or organizations of any kind.
Schedule and Deadlines
BC Green Games runs from October 1, 2018 – March 15, 2019.
October 1:Action Plan Registration period begins
November 30:Early-Bird registration deadline (registrations are ongoing after this date)
December 5:Early-Bird prize winners announced
January 15:Project submission period begins (voting begins once a project has been submitted)
March 1:Project submission deadline
January 15 - March 15:Official online voting period (closes at 11:59pm PST on March 15)
April 4:Winners announced
Field Trip Dates:
March 2-June 30:BC Green Games province-wide field trip period
Judging and Viewer's Choice
Professionally qualified judges will evaluate all entries based on three qualities: environmental action, student involvement, and storytelling and communication. Any decisions made by the judging panel will be final.
Web viewers will select the winners of the “Viewer’s Choice” awards. Viewers will be able to vote once every five minutes, per IP address. There are four $500 prizes for the teams with the most votes.
Science World Field Trips
Every team that registers and submits a project to BC Green Games is invited to come to Science World on a free field trip. Field trips run from March 1 to the end of the school year. Teams can explore Science World, see projects featured on the Peter Brown Family Centre Stage screen, and recieve commemorative buttons to take home with them.
Field trip facts:
- To secure your field trip, you must participate in BC Green Games by submitting an eco-action project by the March 1 deadline.
- A team field trip can include a maximum of two classes (or up to 50 students).
- If your entire school, or multiple classes, participate in the games, consider submitting multiple projects.
- Submitting multiple projects is an opportunity for different groups to think creatively about a topic. It is also an opportunity for healthy inter-school competition.
If your team cannot make it to Science World, you can redeem your free field trip at one of these BC Science Centres:
- Nanaimo: NS3
- Prince George: The Exploration Place
- Kamloops: BIG Little Science Centre
- Vernon: The Okanagan Science Centre
For more information, details on how to book your trip, and to plan your trip ahead of time, please contact: email@example.com.
BC Green Games Partners
Love our planet? So do we. At Product Care Recycling, we believe reducing waste is the key to our future. That's why we recycle environmentally harmful products like lightbulbs, smoke alarms, and paint at free drop-off locations across the country. Together, we can reduce our waste and protect our planet. Join us in creating a healthy and vibrant planet for future generations! https://www.productcare.org/
Call2Recycle is North America’s first and largest battery stewardship program. As a non-profit organization, they collect and recycle batteries at no cost for municipalities, businesses and consumers. Call2Recycle has diverted more than 39 million kilograms of batteries and cellphones from the solid waste stream and established over 34,000 collection sites throughout Canada and the US. It is the first program of its kind to receive the Responsible Recycling Practices Standard (R2) certification.
BC Green Games is managed by Science World British Columbia, a not-for-profit organization that engages Britsh Columbians in science and inspires future science and technology leadership throughout our province. All inquiries should be directed to BC Green Games c/o Science World, TELUS World of Science, 1455 Quebec St, Vancouver, BC, V6A 3Z7. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By entering information to the BC Green Games website, you consent to the use of such information to administer, implement and fulfill this contest.
The personal information you provide in this contest will be used by BC Green Games and its Partners only for the purposes of:
- Administering access and participation on bcgreengames.ca
- Administering and awarding prizes for BC Green Games
- Sending you information about BC Green Games and related Science World programming.
If you have any questions about how BC Green Games handles or uses your personal information, please contact the BC Green Games Project Manager at 1-800-363-1611 or email@example.com
BC Green Games reserves the right to modify the rules to the extent that it believes appropriate. The decisions of the BC Green Games partners are final and binding in all matters as they relate to this contest, including without limitation, the eligibility and/or disqualification of entries, particularly if BC Green Games Partners are of the opinion that:
- There has been no timely or proper submission of an entry
- There is a violation of any portion of the rules or of contest conduct
If, for any reason, BC Green Games is not capable of running as planned, including unauthorized intervention, technical failures or any other causes which corrupt the proper conduct of BC Green Games, BC Green Games Partners reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend BC Green Games. BC Green Games Partners are not responsible for any technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software or communications which may occur during registration or entry submission.
The BC Green Games Partners reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this contest should a virus, bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of the BC Green Games Partners, or its agents corrupt the security or proper administration of BC Green Games. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws. If such an attempt be made, BC Green Games reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
By submitting an entry, each team grants BC Green Games the right to use the entry in whole or in part for any purpose whatsoever, e.g. to make copies of the entry for further promotion; to display the entry on its website, or any successor website; and can publicly perform, display or distribute such entry to any person or organization in any manner.
By submitting your project to the BC Green Games site, you confirm that you have the legal right to share these images. It is your responsibility to obtain and hold a Rights Release (Including Model Release) for all persons appearing in your submission.